Saturday, December 3, 2016

Thanksgiving in Colorado

Of course Claire is growling like a ferocious creature.
This Thanksgiving we loaded up the car and took a road trip to stay with our dear friends, the Fishers. After some long and harrowing car rides, Matt and I finally invested in DVD players for the kids, and let's just say they are worth every penny and MORE. The kids were angels and did awesome on the long ride.


We got great quality time with everyone and got to meet the newest Fisher - baby Phoebe. Claire was reunited with her oldest friend, Penny (they were born about a week apart.) Sam and August got to play with Jack and Phoebe and everyone got along great.

Little Phoebe peeking around the corner. She is a real live doll.
Thanksgiving was wild and crazy - we cooked a 24 pound turkey and had about 20 people for dinner including nine kids. It was loud and out of control and wonderful :) We ate until we exploded and stayed up late playing games. There was lots of music and laughter. It was perfection.

Mel and I doing what we love!!!
Mel teaching the girls how to make homemade pumpkin pie.
The BIRD! Three sticks of butter, fresh herbs, apples, onions, carrots and celery = YUM!
One of the kids was a cousin that was visiting, and she was very shy and disappointed that she didn't get to have Penny all to herself. Claire handled the situation with so much maturity. She could have chosen to be really offended, left out or pout about it, but she tried to include the girl while she warmed up to the situation. Her step-mom came up to me and said "I just have to tell you what an incredibly special girl Claire is. Most 7 year olds would have cried or wouldn't have tried to include someone who was not being the easiest to get along with, and I am so touched and impressed at how she handled the situation." She had an opportunity to tell Claire later, and thank her for what she did. Claire's response was "That's just what we do. My mom teaches us that." Rebecca said, "Well, there aren't a lot of people who would have done what you did." Claire said, "Sure there are. There are lots of good people." Rebecca told me that Claire said she learned it from her mom and, needless to say, I got misty and it was absolutely hands down my favorite part of the trip. I am so proud of Claire's ability to read difficult social situations and always help the underdog. My mom instilled that in me, and I'm thrilled to see that Matt and I are successfully instilling it in our children, too.


We spent a day wandering Pearl Street, watching street musicians, getting ice cream cones, tea, and doing a little shopping. It reminded me a little of spending time on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica when we lived there.


I got time with Mel and we went and had pedicures and had a great lunch. She is such a special person who I respect so much and I have no doubt our family friendship will last a lifetime. 

Pedicures with the girls!
My sweet Mel.

Happy little friends :)
The boys got their time, too, and went to the Utes Buffs game (unfortunately, the Utes didn't get a W.....but it was still fun for the guys.)

Most handsome UTES fan on the planet!
The twins cots. August is the one we trust to sleep on top, she's less likely to fall out and get hurt, haha.

Fish Daddy playing with Auggie

This year, I am so grateful for family. I'm grateful for friendships we have invested in and nurtured for years. I'm grateful for a wonderful marriage and I don't take it for granted. I'm grateful for happy, healthy, thriving children. I'm just so grateful for this life and I am in awe of it, daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment