Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Twinnies do Preschool!

Preschool here we come!
It happened! Today was the twins' first day of preschool. They woke up excited as can be, and Claire even helped feed them breakfast to make their morning special. She tried so hard to make everything just perfect for them today... I hope it's because she has learned from us that these days are special and maybe remembers the things we have done for her on big "firsts" like this. But who knows...

Last night, we kept the family tradition going by reading Claire's copy of "Oh, The Places You'll Go." Each twin loved it, but had different things to say about it, and different things they noticed in the book. I love watching their brains develop differently.

They got dressed with much excitement today... and got to wear their new school shoes that light up (a birthday gift from great grandma Helen), which made them VERY happy. They wore their little backpacks on their tiny backs all around the house this morning.

Claire wanted them to have special music while they were getting ready, and asked for "On My Way" by Phil Collins. The kids watched the music video for it over and over... and we listened to it the whole way to preschool.  It couldn't have bee more perfect.

When we got there they were as excited as could be to get seated and start working. They were at different tables, and I was glad, hoping that they can branch out a bit and make new friends.
With Miss "Wiz"
 What a huge shift in our family's life. Their preschool is in a woman's home and I really like her style of teaching. She has a bachelors and masters degree, both in early childhood/special education and has worked in the field for a long time. They go three mornings a week, and they really love it. Best of all, they're finally getting to use their teeeeeny little monogrammed backpacks that Aunt Nardi gave them when they were born. 

All ready for the first day of school!
These days, August spends most of her time dressed as a dog, and/or barking and howling like one. Sometimes she is a cat, but without fail, she is an animal most of her days. She has also become the person who makes sure the family adheres to rules, which is ironic, because she is my most mischievous child, by far. She says fascinating things to me - and knows just how to be adorable on cue. She reminds me of Shirley Temple a little bit, with her curls and her epic amount of spunk and charisma packed into such a young person. 


Sammy is still my tender boy, and is still absolutely in love with his dad. If Matt leaves, even to just drive Claire to school, Sam's heart breaks and he bawls until he returns. He's doing better with Matt's travel, although it is still confusing for him. On Matt's most recent trip, every time Sam heard a car drive near our house, he would run to the window, convinced it was daddy coming home. Finally, I held him in my lap and explained that it would still be a few more days and I was sorry he had to miss him. He bawled, "I just don't WANT to miss him!"


Little bit gut wrenching, but when I look at the big picture I am extraordinarily grateful that my children have a daddy that they miss when he is gone. I love that he is such a tender, fair, fun parent and all three kids truly adore him. It's our reality that Matt has to travel so that he can keep his job, and so that I don't have to go back to work full time, which is what we want right now. I love being able to be with my kids, especially with as much as Matt travels, and I have two part time jobs so it's a great balance for all of us.

When we went to preschool orientation (a week or so before school started), the kids were thrilled because they assumed it was their first day of preschool. Sam got out this tiny little lunchbox and packed it full of snacks to take with him. I love their independence and the way they dress themselves, pack their backpacks and get their own snacks. It is adorable to watch. They also do such a good job taking care of each other. If one of them wants a drink, the twins make sure other twin gets a drink and takes it to them. They are darling companions, and although they fight a bit these days, I feel lucky every day that I get to raise a set of twins. 

Claire struggles a little bit with them getting a lot of attention, and getting into her things, but her love for them and her power over them far outweighs that. She sets up little activities for them and plays school and very often feeds them breakfast. She tries to make sure they are behaving and is happy to meter punishments - which I remind her isn't her job, and that we'll take care of that for her. 

The kids were so excited to start preschool and very confused when it was going to begin because they still don't have an accurate sense of time. So, of course we made countdown chains like you do as a child waiting for the endless days to pass until Christmas arrives.

The twins' teacher is named Miss Liz. However, August cannot say her "L's" so it's "Miss Wiz" in our house. I adore it.

On the way to preschool the first day, Sam wanted to hear the song "Hush Little Baby." It was such an interesting juxtaposition of the event that they were embarking on, and the stage they were about to leave behind. Of course we played it and all listened... and I couldn't help but cry. I did well at drop off and Matt was with me, too. We felt excited but tender about the change. As we got in the car and drove home, Matt was silent. I asked him what he was thinking about, and he said nothing. A big tear rolled down his (still baby chubby) cheek from underneath his dark glasses, and he started wiping them away. He rarely cries, so when he does it's usually about something pretty big.  It was an exciting, sensitive day for us all.

Sam and August have adjusted beautifully, and love going to school. They insist on dressing themselves every day which is actually really helpful for me as we're getting everyone ready.  They have both had their first official "Show and Tell" experiences. Sam took his vacuum (of course). August took a singing hamster that copies what you say and repeats it in a pitch about 2-3 octaves higher. It was a hit with the class.

The teacher has their personalities pegged. She sees the sensitivity in Sam and the fire in August. August has gotten REALLY into art lately, and Miss Liz says that if August does an art project at the beginning of the school day, she will take her time and end up doing it almost the entire three hours. She draws at home countless times a day, and I am in love with her little portraits of people and objects. It reminds me of Claire when she started doing art and really getting into it - although I think Claire was about a year younger. I've compared the drawings and they're quite similar in their primitive nature.

All ready for preschool orientation.

The twins have done great with their potty training, and fight over who gets to flush. It's the little things that bring great joy and great drama to the house right now.


On Mondays and Fridays when we don't have to take the twins to preschool, we all walk Claire to school. Sam usually insists on wearing his light up Spider man snow boots, while August is almost always barefoot. Yet another perfect illustration of their different personalities. When we get close to home we let them out of the stroller and tell them to run the rest of the way to the house. Sam is always behind his sister... waddling/running in his boots. Sam is still at least an inch shorter than his sister. I watch their little bodies running to our family home, and I am so full of gratitude for my life.

On to the next chapter! I'm learning to fill my short time without them, but it goes fast. I get to grocery shop without finding a babysitter which is awesome, and I usually devote the other two days to either of my businesses. Then I pick them up at 11:30, and we come home, have lunch and I read to them while they eat. The other day I walked into the other room while they were having their lunch, and I heard Sammy politely begin some lunch conversation. 

Sam: "So, August, how was YOU day?"
August: "No, Sam. We don't do that until DINNER." Like I said, always keeping us in check.
After dropping the kids off on their first day of preschool!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment