Thursday, September 1, 2016

Summer fun

This was a nice, long, busy summer. I was lucky to have my mom (GramTam) with me most of the time to help with the kids, so that I could really work on rehabilitating and not continuing to irritate my back injury. That made for a lot of adventures, and I was grateful to have a partner in crime for all of these activities. I don't know if I could have done them without her! I'm so appreciative and I know she got lots of wonderful time with her grand babies and nothing makes her as happy as that. 

All three kids took swimming lessons this summer, and no amount of convincing could make August believe that she wasn't going to be taught how to swim by an actual mermaid. She is a little fish and loves to dunk herself. She has very little fear of the water, but doesn't seem to do anything dangerous. Sam, true to form, is more tentative.




Claire's swimming is proving, although the sweet little pint-sized thing is so short that she has had to learn to tread water pretty much permanently, because the appropriate class level for her is in deeper water where most kids her age can touch the bottom. Sweet little thing... she still can fit into her size 4 clothes. I remind her that good things come in small packages (she has no clue what that means...) and that she will be REALLY good at hide and seek throughout her life. That's what I tried to tell myself when I was young and really small and wanted to be a big girl. We shop for clothes and she gets sad because she doesn't want to wear baby things, so I've started buying things that are her age in size, and trying to alter some of them.

Claire sits beautifully, and the owner of the stables says she really is a natural.
On their way to day one of horse lessons! Thanks, GramTam!
Claire continued horse riding lessons this summer, and the owner of the stables said she is a really naturally talented rider. She has beautiful posture and sits so well on the horse. She took lessons exclusively on a bareback pad, and can control large horses (15-16+ hands) with her tiny, mighty frame. It makes me so proud and so happy to see the joy it brings her. I truly hope she continues this hobby in her life; I think it is a fantastic thing for her to maintain confidence and self-esteem, handling such a large animal. She isn't just in it for the "pretty ponies" like a lot of kids.... she gets down and dirty. She loves to groom them, clean their hooves, muck stalls, you name it. I am so proud of the fact that she can do all of that and of her incredible knowledge of horses at this young age. Sweet Grandma Tam gives her riding lessons every year for her birthday in January, and Claire patiently waits until summer each year to take them. It's an extraordinary gift from our equestrian grandma.


This summer, we took our annual trip to Redfish Lake in Idaho, with Grandma Tam, her best friend Karri, Karri's oldest son, Alex and his darling family (Jenn, Samantha, Kate, Alexander and William), and my cute sister, Auntie Erin, and her husdband, Uncle Zach, joined us for the first time.

After the less than pleasant drive last year, Matt and I finally caved and bought in-car DVD players. This certainly helped keep them a little more entertained. Matt got each child a pair of headphones... however they were immediately renamed "ham-bones" by August.


Despite the weather being slightly chillier than last year, we made the most of every single day at the beach. The twins LOVED the sand and the water, and as long as they had a bucket and someone dug a big hole in the sand that they could fill with water, they were happy as clams. Also, the constant flow of ice cream kept people pretty happy, too.


 
Erin and Zach brought their yellow kayaks, which the twins dubbed the "banana boats." When they were strapped to the top of the car they also called their car a "banana car." It was so special to have my sister there this year. I got to see so much of her with her darling husband, and they are hilarious, generous and so much fun to be around - a perfect addition to the gang.

Tired beach princess.
We spent evenings playing games and laughing until our abs hurt and we cried. We made countless trips to the general store for treats, prizes for potty training and souvenirs. The kids went to the gazebo for copious amounts of ice cream and we buried Claire in the sand as a sea turtle.  Claire was so brave in the water and I can tell she's becoming a more confident swimmer. Erin and Zach taught her how to kayak and she was buzzing around all over the lake, paddling her own kayak without help. I am so proud of her and all the outdoor activities she loves (fishing, skiing, horseback riding and now kayaking!)

Beautiful shot captured by Matt's fishing buddy, our brother-in-law, Zach.
Matt was in absolute heaven, and got to fish six times while we were there. He fly fished with Zach and they are a perfect fishing pair. Zach used to be a fly fishing guide, and it is one of Matt's favorite hobbies. I got to go on one lake fishing expedition with Matt and Claire (who was constantly begging her dad to take her again and again...) and it was adorable to watch Claire assist Matt while he was fishing. He would ask her for certain tools or fishing accessories and she was quick to help.

After walking home from one outing, Matt asked me to carry a fishing pole. I looked down, and saw my brother's name engraved on it, "Elliott John Maher." The name in print makes my heart flutter every time. There is increasingly less emptiness and sadness, and more a feeling that he is with me and we still have a relationship, albeit very different. Elliott had this fly rod made for himself when he was working at Sportsman's Warehouse in Montana, and it's a very very nice one. My dad gave it to Matt a few years ago, and Matt loves to fish with it. It was so tender to me to physically be carrying a little memory of my brother with me in the gorgeous outdoors. He would love Redfish Lake so, so much, and would have been out in that water with Zach and Matt every second. In fact, if he had been there, I'm willing to bet they would have fished 12 times, instead of 6. Elliott would probably also have jumped off the dock in the middle of the night naked or some crazy thing...he loved to live hard, fast and fun. I think of him every time I do something that requires extra bravery, or something adventurous.

Uncle Zach with the twinnies.
 Most mornings I tried to walk to continue strengthening my back and my morning walks were idyllic and serene - possibly one of my favorite parts of the vacation. One morning I walked with Matt and he pulled the twins in a wagon. A few other mornings, I walked with Jenn or Jenn and Erin, and it was awesome girl time. It was a rare opportunity to have an isolated hour of conversation with other women and just talk about life, solving each other's problems, appreciating the beauty around us and laughing, all against the extraordinary backdrop of the Sawtooth Mountains. 

Sam, Kate and Alexander were all so wonderful with my kids. Sam & Kate included Claire in lots of fun big girl stuff, and Alexander and the girls were so wonderfully caring and inclusive of the twins. All of my kids just worship their whole family. It was fun to see the twins getting old enough to really play with William (the youngest of the other family).

Last night in Redfish - the family that raves together stays together!
It was delightful to be totally unplugged for a week. No phones ringing, no texting, no social media, no news, no email, no work. I think it's easy to forget the pressure that technology puts on us 24 hours a day because it is so accessible now.

We'll see you again -- maybe not for a few years, but we'll be back, Redfish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment