Some readers (namely my sister) will tease me for the name of this entry, but I can't help it. The twinnies are 7 months old and every month gets better and better.
Back to the story.... to be quite honest, I am enjoying this phase of motherhood more than I ever expected. When I found out I was having twins, I was terrified. When I decided to leave my job to raise them I felt floating in the universe, unattached to the persona I had carefully crafted over the past decade. My successes were measured by who I knew, what I could do on paper, what I could produce and how I could present and sell - or at least I thought that was the extent of how they were measured. I wouldn't trade the time I worked like crazy for anything in the world. I loved it and I believe I will go back to it in the near future. I also wholeheartedly believe it made me incredibly capable -- capable of getting things done... things that I was afraid of.... doing them quickly... and well. It gave me a new level of confidence that has stayed with me long after the job titles are gone. All of this has absolutely benefited me as a mother, running my own little civilization.
So, back to the story - all roads lead to twinnies these days. August proudly sports two bottom teeth. She wasn't a fan of growing them, but she is a fan of biting with them. Sam is still gummy with no chompers yet. Both babies are showing signs of beginning to crawl - August holds a mean plank pose and rocks back and forth on her tiptoes. Sammy loves to stand up and dance, especially with his big sister.This past month, the babies have attended mass - TWICE! That should cover us for awhile, right? We attended a Presbyterian mass on Christmas Eve at Claire's school / church. We were also invited to a friend's baptism at a Catholic church. The services were night and day different, but August was equally irreverent at each one. During Presbyterian mass, after the Pastor extolled the miracle of the Savior's birth, August spat as loud as she could. During Catholic Mass, she had a fit and we had our very own little exorcism in the basement of the church as far away from the angelic service as possible, until she calmed down. Sammy slept like an angel through both services when he wasn't busy making eyes at people (he remains quite the flirt).
Other big news this month: Sammy got a helmet! He has a flatness on one side of his head that needed rounding out, so his doctor suggested helmet therapy. He should only have to have it for 2-3 months - pretty short because of his young age and the rate of development. He has tolerated it very well, and, of course, it was just one more piece of real estate for us to demonstrate our allegiance to the U.
In other news, both twins received their driving licenses this month. They are great little drivers, very courteous on the road but do like high speeds and sharp turns. Good thing they always insist on buckling up... safety first!
In other news, both twins received their driving licenses this month. They are great little drivers, very courteous on the road but do like high speeds and sharp turns. Good thing they always insist on buckling up... safety first!
| "Mom... I can't put my arms down!" |
Great little piece, you're on quite an adventure. You should advise inquirers that Sammy's taken up some light sparring matches in his spare time, hence the helmet. And, in about 15 years, his siblings will torture him mercilessly with these pictures - which is the natch order of things....
ReplyDeleteLoved it!