![]() |
| Of course you have to hold up your age in fingers... she's a whole hand now! |
She has such a strong personality - never shy, outspoken, incredibly curious and doesn't forget a thing. She asks incredible questions, often ones that we can't answer. We find ourselves trying to be one step ahead of her little brain so that we can give her as much information as she wants (but not too much) on big subjects that she brings up: death, heaven, families, feelings, nature, growing up and age...
Claire has changed more this year than any other year because she has now learned what it is to love a sibling -- and she got a double dose. She is so gentle with her precious baby brother and feisty little sister it melts my heart. I sit and listen to the way she speaks to them, the terms of endearment she uses, the way she gently strokes their hair and tries to make them smile and laugh. I'd like to think she is mirroring the way we have talked to her and how we talk to the babies and it is the greatest reward you can imagine.
![]() |
| Whole family ready to sing and celebrate with chocolate cupcakes, chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles. Strict orders. |
![]() |
| The day we finally had both babies home from the hospital, and began our life together as a family of 5. |
Funny things she said today, on the arrival of this momentous occasion:
Looking in the mirror at herself, "Have I lost any teeth yet?"
To her school teacher this morning, "Miss Keri! Guess what happened to me?! I turned FIVE!" (like it was an affliction or like she was the victim of something...)
At the dinner table when I asked her what she was grateful for today: "..that I can have a birthday any year I need to."
The best part about being 5 years old: "Presents." Duh.. wasn't shocked at that one.
I can't believe we've come five years from the ridiculous bi-state 1st birthday Finding Nemo birthday party --- nay --- gala, that I so carefully planned years ago. Now here we are, and she is dictating her own guestlist to the party and playing a role in planning it. A dream come true for me (the party planning mom), and her, the self-important five year old child.
![]() |
| Delicately preparing to massacre her first birthday cake. |
| Five years later, surrounded by a group of darling friends (Left to right: Taylor, Dina, Asia, Claire, Adalyn and Harper) at Claire's Build-A-Bear Princess Party. |
Matt and I have been reliving the highlights of her speech over the years and remembering some of our favorite phrases and words that she used. Each of these acted as rungs in the ladder of her vocabulary progression and, consequently, her development. They are as precious and hilarious to me now as they were then and I hope I NEVER forget them. We purposely never corrected her because she would figure it out on her own so quickly, and then they would be gone forever. Here is a walk down memory lane, Claire-style:
Teeps: Teeth.
Use in a sentence: Brush ma teeps.
Que-mies: Excuse me.
Use in a sentence: Que-mies, Santa (at the dinner table during the holidays when she didn't know where Santa was or was not -- this powerful new omnipresent, yet ever invisible being that held all the cards...better excuse yourself to him if you want to be remembered on Christmas morning.)
Dane it: Dang it.
Uppie: Airplane
Sum, sum dis: some of this
Use in a sentence: You want sum sum dis?
Babana: Banana
Bow-tay-ven: Beethoven
Tuto: Toto (as from the Wizard of Oz)
In a One Whore Open Sleigh: In a One Horse Open Sleigh
Joy to the world, the savior brains: Joy to the world, the savior reigns.
Friend girl: Girlfriend.
Use in a sentence: Is that Unka Cam's friendgirl?
Fab-lee-ous: Fabulous
Use in a sentence: I want to marry Uncle Elliott, because I saw a picture of him and he is FABLIOUS!
Cock-a-little-do: Cock a doodle do
Such a lady: Sexy Lady
Foot Wrist: Ankle
Use in a sentence: Mom, I burned my foot wrist in the tub, it's too hot.
See Type: Sleep Tight.
Puffs: Breasts
Maples: Nipples or moles, fully interchangeable to her.
Now a few photos to share our memories with you:
![]() |
| WEEE! Check me out, I have a cute little baby girl!!!!!!!!! |
![]() |
| Comfy in daddy's arms. |
![]() |
| Always in love with daddy, making each other laugh. |
![]() |
| First trip to the beach. |
![]() |
| First time sledding. |
![]() |
| First Haircut. |
![]() |
| Second Birthday |
![]() |
| Crazy maniac chef. |
![]() |
| Ballerina. |
![]() |
| Her alter-ego "Pa-Jahwn"... it was short lived, but hilarious. |
![]() |
| Completely unsupervised with mommy's makeup bag for an hour. Oops! |
![]() |
| Flash back, flash forward. |
![]() |
| Her first day of Pre-K. |
I am so grateful to have children in such different stages of development. The babies' infancy proves a constant reminder of what Claire used to be, and a perpetual contrast to Claire's "adulthood" right now. It only gets better every day. Matt and I relish every conversation we have with her that actually makes sense and makes us think. We can enjoy some of the same entertainment, laugh at many of the same things, play some of the same games. Unfortunately, however, we do not eat many of the same foods, as she remains on an unwavering diet of Mac & Cheese (thanks to Daddy's genetic wiring there...) and occasionally nuggies. Strawberries are also a favorite, and chocolate milk will never go to waste around her.
I love this child, I'm thrilled she made me a mom. At the risk of sounding cliche, I will admit that parenthood is as rewarding as it is difficult, but the most important part of my life.
I love you, little miss thing...Claire Bear, Beauty, Bear, Honey Pie, Miss Claire, Miscellaneous, Pumpkin, Peanut Butta, DeClare, Byuddah (derivative of beauty), Monk, Monk-a-loon... the list goes on and on...


















No comments:
Post a Comment