Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Happy Birthday

It's come again... your birthday. Happy 31st to my sweet little brother. So much has changed in this past year.  You are now an uncle to a miraculous set of twins (a boy and a girl, of course -- thanks if you had anything to do with that). Also, your little sister is getting hitched. You would really like her fiance; I have no doubt he'd get the Elliott seal of approval. He's a fly fisherman, an eagle scout, and a fireman. Someone who spends his time helping others would surely have a piece of your heart. Most of all, he loves your little sister so genuinely. 

As I always say, I loved the two months in between our birthdays when the age gap was narrowed to only one year and we were that much closer to being the twins we really wanted to be. I enjoy it now as I enjoyed it then, finding every way I can to feel close to you.

It is a beautiful fall day here - custom made for you, I think. The mountains are starting to turn and the air is so fresh. I'm glad to be back in Utah to smell the fall air the right way (in California it usually just smelled of wet salt and that didn't remind me of you at all.) 

As if it were on cue, your oldest niece has a field trip today with her school. They are going on a nature walk. She's all decked out in gear that you would love - Columbia, head to toe (courtesy of Grandma Tam).  She asked me if you would be sad that you can't see the nature walk because I told her how much you loved the outdoors, and I told her that you would still be able to see it and enjoy it. 

We celebrated your birthday a little differently this year. I organized a fly fishing trip for Matty and Zach. They were doing something you would have loved, and, more importantly, using some of your precious gear. I wanted those pieces of you to live on and this is the best way I knew how to accomplish that. They even caught a few brown trout - couldn't have been more perfect. Matty kept saying he hoped you'd swoop in and help him not get skunked this time, and I said absolutely not. No one ever helped you catch fish - he was on his own. But you would have joined him for a celebratory beer, I am sure :)

Erin, Claire and I made yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting. We lit candles and blew them out to make a wish, but, of course, Claire had to sing Happy Birthday. You can't put a lit candle in front of a 4 year old and expect them not to sing with all their hearts. Without any prompting, she put her hands in prayer position, bowed her head and closed her eyes, and sang Happy Birthday to you in a prayer. I'll never forget it.

I love you every day and I'm keeping my promise to carry you with me so those unlucky enough to have never known you, may understand this exquisite person that graced our earth for just a short time. Thank you for crossing your path with mine.

Forever your little big sister...

Lauren
























1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, at one point it was so obvious you were speaking to him that I felt like I was invading by reading. Happy Happy Day Elliott, I am sure he is watching down on you and your kids with such pride. How tender of Claire to worry that he would be missing out on the outdoors, obviously you are raising sweet, loving kids- just like him. A Happy Birthday Prayer is pretty special, unique and oh-so creative, obviously the Mayer/Stout way! You said on a post to me when my Grandma passed (that BTW was very helpful), you said "I am so sorry you will miss her, but it sounds like she deserved to be missed". So I turn your words around on you today, so sorry you miss him, but he deserves to be missed. Hugs to all of you today! - Amy Jones

    ReplyDelete