Friday, June 10, 2016

Twinions turn three!



We got Sam out of bed this morning and asked him how old he was, and his response was "I went older!"

So excited to open presents!
We asked August how old she was, and she said, "Helen." Helen is the twins' 93 year old great-grandmother. 
Sweet great grandma Helen helping August put on her PJ Mask costume from Aunt Erin & Uncle Zach
When putting Sam to bed, I said, "I love you." Sam said "And Daddy loves me... and Daddy loves you." It's all come full circle and we are as grateful as we can be.

Birthday morning - they got bikes!
Safety while drawing is essential.
Sam pronounces helmet: "HO-met."
On their actual birthday, we took them swimming with Claire and Grandma Tam and then went out for snow cones (ice cones according to Sam.) It was simple, sweet and perfect.  

Bathing Beauties
Carefully eating their "ice cones." Sam is prone to brain freeze - just like uncle Elliott was as little one.
A few days later, we had a small "Minions" themed family party. It feels like we were just gathered in the backyard celebrating their second birthday. Time is speeding up...


The twins' new age has given them even more attitude. They proudly say "I'm free" when you ask them how old they are (ironic because they are so NOT...) and hold up a strange combination of fingers.

Matt: "Look August, I cleaned out your playhouse."
August: "It doesn't matter."
Matt: "At least she's honest."

They had their three year old check-up and are very healthy - and very, very short. The pediatrician describes them as short and stocky. Sam is still barely on the growth chart for his height. He remains an incredibly picky eater, but the doctor said he clearly doesn't look like he is starving. August is the least picky eater of all of our children, and will eat even eat snake (steak). August still adores her chapstick, and we have to put it on before every nap and every bedtime. The other day, she got into some herself, and I hear her yelling "Help! I have a problem!" I walked into my room to see this grease laden face with enough chapstick for everyone in the contiguous United States.

August in a PJ Masks costume
They are really obsessed with PJ Masks (a tv show) and still love Daniel Tiger. The Minions movie is their current favorite and we watched it almost every day this summer. The cutest part is that they love the soundtrack. I have brought a few of the pieces into my repertoire for my piano work, and they beg me to play "Minions." I play Happy Together by The Turtles and they sing and dance with joy.  They are both huge music lovers. Sam has a really nice voice and has remarkable pitch. August is more of a dancer - not so much a singer... ha ha ha. 

The twins are starting to fight more and tell on each other, which is hilarious. They know exactly how to push each others' buttons, and do it regularly. They get time-outs (which I think are entirely ineffective for them), and Sam has started giving his baby time-outs because "he" (it's a girl...) is misbehaving.

Sam uses his little dolls' hands to do a variety of things - he has them play the piano, flush the toilet while he is potty training... it's funny and a little creepy to see this tiny plastic hand in lieu of his own performing daily tasks. It reminds me so much of the Lawrence Welk sketch on SNL with Kristin Wiig and the fake doll hands she has.

Teaching "Goo-Goo Ga-Ga" to play the piano. Yes, that's her name.
I was trying to assist August in doing something recently, and the conversation went like this:

Me: "August, I am trying to help you."
August: "I'm TRYING to help mySELF!"





No comments:

Post a Comment