Thursday, August 20, 2015

Time with my little person.....

All ready to go to the airport and start our trip together.
Months ago, Claire and I planned a trip to California to visit our dear friends and the home we left when we moved to Utah to have the twins. Neither of us have even been on an airplane since the day we moved, 2 1/2 years ago. It was a much needed break for me and something for me to look forward to in the midst of this very challenging past year during recovery from my car accident. Although I missed my twinnies so much, it was imperative for my back to have a break from constant lifting and running a house. My sweet Caroline and her fam (Justin, Liam & Rowan) were fantastic hosts and let us crash at their gorgeous casa in San Clemente.

Party cam with my Caroline!
Caroline and Claire saying goodbye at the airport.
We saw all of our dearest friends, got to meet Stef's baby, visit with Claire's daycare provider (who became an honorary Stout when we lived in California,) Claire's old preschool, and the home that we lived in. The home where Claire was raised, took her first steps, where I got pregnant with twins, worked hard and played hard. It was nostalgic, but honestly it made it so clear to me that we made the right choice moving home. Not for one second did I feel a sense of regret, or "what could have been." I soaked up every minute of time with my beloved friends, and the gorgeous California sun, but it really became clear to me that our home and our life in Utah is incredibly right for us, right now. 

Stef and Tamer's baby, Jaxon, loved Claire. He kept taking bites out of her nose.
Cami hosted a fabulous pool day lunch at her beautiful home.
Claire with Karen, who watched Claire from 11 months until 3 1/2 years old.


The best part of the trip was not the parties (although they were FAB), beach time (also FAB) or general relaxation (muchhhhh needed)....

My beloved peeps! Left to right: Stef, Suz, Fabienne, Caroline, Terry, Cami, Trev and Moi
Aforementioned relaxation
Beach day!

...it was getting a front row seat to my little Claire, seeing how she has grown up and what she is like away from the twins and our regular routine at home. One thing she said to me really demonstrated how mature she is at six years old. We were getting ready for bed one night, and she said to me, thoughtfully, "Mom, I think it's so nice that since we are staying at someone else's house, Caroline will go out in her own car and use her own money to buy something for us if we don't have it here." Few six year olds would even acknowledge or have an understanding of service provided by others and then express gratitude for it. Our sweet Caroline left a pool party for us to go buy Claire a life jacket so Claire could have a good time. She also bought matching Frozen shirts for the girls (Rowan is Caroline's daughter, Claire's age,) Frozen water bottles and coloring books. She and her husband were generous hosts, as always.

Rowan and Claire with their matching shirts and long blond braids.
When the trip began, Claire was thrilled to get on a plane. To her it felt like the first time because she didn't remember her previous trips. She insisted on sitting in the window seat so she could see everything. She had a million questions about how the airplane worked... her curiosity is endless, and is one of my most treasured qualities in her. When the captain came over the loudspeaker to talk to us, I would ignore it like most people do and she got so mad. She wanted to hear every single word he had to say because it was "very important." Adorable. As we buckled her into her seat, she asked me if I could cinch the seat belt even tighter. She required me to fasten it so tight I was afraid her eyes were going to bug out. She was also the on-board seat belt police: "Mom, they said always fasten your seat belt." At the end of the flight, the pilot even let her sit in his seat in the cockpit (and his name was even Matthew!)


She was tentative at first, but then Claire did a great job with her swimming on the trip. She discovered snorkeling at Cami's pool, and is insistent that we get one for our bathtub. She learned to pump herself on the swings without a push - a huge accomplishment for her and she couldn't be more proud.  

As I sat back and watched my little girl on this trip, I noticed what a sense of gratitude and humility she has. She said to me on the way home, as she was playing her kindle "I'm really lucky because most kids don't even have their own kindle." Impressive since she is surrounded by kids with ipads, iphones and a million tech devices that she doesn't have. She is serious and adult like in her conversations with people. The day we were departing, she asked if we were going out of gate B17 again -- the gate that we departed out of five days prior in Salt Lake. I was shocked she remembered... I love her little brain and th eway she puts things together.

Walking around with her, getting to hold her teeny soft little hand is more precious to me than I can describe. I loved being able to give her my undivided attention for a few days before she started First Grade.  Two of the nights we were there she wanted to sleep in my room instead of with all the kids. I have to admit I LOVED it. Every time we rode in the car, she requested the song "Wake Me Up," and you could hear her sweet, high little voice singing every word. Melts my heart.

One day we borrowed a car and went to visit friends and see all of our old haunts. I took Claire out to a special lunch and told her I had a surprise for her. Matt and I have always said that she had to wait until she was 10 or 12 to get her ears pierced. It occurred to me during lunch, however, that this was the perfect time. She would always remember that she got her ears pierced on our special mommy daughter trip to California. She was so excited - a little scared, but incredibly brave. No tears. She just said  (in perfect grammar and proper use of an adverb - made momma very hapy), "that hurt SOOO badly." 


I will never forget this trip with Claire and what an opportunity it gave me to be with her in an isolated setting, away from our daily routines and family chaos. I couldn't be more proud of this person and she has become one of my favorite little friends....

I love you forever, my sweet girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment